We help you locate funding opportunities
The Grants Hub’s Finding Funding service helps researchers and staff learn to find funding opportunities using agency websites and searchable databases. We’ll teach you how to use these databases, set up saved searches, share opportunities, and receive funding alert emails.
To request the Finding Funding service, click here. A member of the Grants Hub staff will follow up with you to set up database log-ins and schedule a consultation meeting, either by phone or in person, tailored to your research interests and career stage.
Iowa State subscribes to several grant aggregation databases and offers other excellent resources to help researchers identify funding opportunities:
Pivot is an online searchable database that can help researchers identify funding opportunities. Researchers can also use Pivot to identify potential collaborators within and outside of their organization. Use your iastate.edu email address to sign up.
Instructions for setting up account
Select “Create account”
Select “Use Email Address/Create Password” (use your iastate.edu email address)
Pivot – Functions and Strategies
This document provides instructions on the use of Pivot, including search strategies and best practices.
Pivot YouTube Tutorials
The Pivot YouTube channel includes a series of short videos to help users navigate the online database and set up tracked opportunities and saved searches.
Research Gate released a new set of features to help researchers find funding. All members of Iowa State have immediate access to the advanced features of Funding+Plus, including:
- Searching through ResearchGate’s database of funding opportunities
- Setting up funding opportunity alerts
- Finding Insights on previous awardees and funded projects
To access Funding+Plus, click on the “funding” tab in ResearchGate’s main header.
Halo is a marketplace and network that moves science forward by connecting scientists directly with companies for research collaborations and funding opportunities.
Halo is like LinkedIn or Glassdoor, but instead of job openings, companies post areas of interest for research collaborations (i.e. RFPs) and scientists submit simple, standardized proposals.
Companies then review the proposals and reach out directly to scientists to learn more or provide feedback. If the two are interested in sharing confidential information or negotiating an agreement, the conversation moves off of Halo and the process proceeds per usual with any industry collaboration.
GrantForward is another online database of opportunities from foundation, Federal, and other funding sources. It also includes smaller opportunities and fellowships. Use your iastate.edu email address to sign up.
GrantForward Researcher Welcome Guide
This PDF can help users set up an account and get started with using the database.
This finding funding tool provides access to timely, comprehensive information on U.S. foundations, corporate giving programs, and grant making public charities.
Foundation Directory Online is no longer offered for university-wide access. If you need to access a Foundation’s information, please contact Annalisa Brandt (email@example.com) at the Grants Hub.
The Research Insight tool helps administrators and faculty members:
- Find subject matter experts within an institution or externally. Powerful algorithms scan faculty members’ research to identify scholars with expertise on a specific topic.
- Build diverse teams. When forming a team, a tool shows areas of expertise of team members, as well as gaps.
- Identify funding opportunities. “Suggested funding” uses algorithms that match funding opportunities to faculty members’ research and expertise, resulting in the suggestions of relevant funding opportunities.
Research Insight access is available to faculty and staff from participating units:
- College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- College of Engineering
- College of Human Sciences
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Office of the Vice President for Research
Users are required to view a training video and sign a nondisclosure agreement prior to receiving logon credentials.
To obtain access to Research Insight:
- View the following 20 minute training video Research Insight Walkthrough.
- Download and complete the Non-Disclosure Agreement. Save your completed Non-disclosure Agreement in your files.
- Complete this Research Insight Registration form, attaching your completed and signed non-Disclosure Agreement form. Once your registration is approved, you will receive an email notice from Academic Analytics with the Research Insight web address, logon and password.
Research Insight FAQ
This document describes what data is included in the Research Insight database and how it is used to search for researchers and opportunities.
This is an excellent list of federal, state, and non government resources.
This is a weekly summary of funding opportunities compiled by Van Scoyoc Associates, Inc.