We help you locate funding opportunities
The Grants Hub’s Finding Funding service helps researchers and staff find funding opportunities using agency websites and searchable databases. We’ll teach you how to use these databases, set up saved searches, share opportunities, and receive funding alert emails.
To request the Finding Funding service, click here. A member of the Grants Hub staff will follow up with you to set up database log-ins and schedule a consultation meeting, either by phone or in person, tailored to your research interests and career stage.
Iowa State subscribes to several grant aggregation databases and offers other excellent resources to help researchers identify funding opportunities:
Pivot is an online searchable database that can help researchers identify funding opportunities. Researchers can also use Pivot to identify potential collaborators within and outside of their organization. Use your iastate.edu email address to sign up.
Pivot Quick Start Guide
This PDF provides a brief overview of setting up a Pivot account and beginning to use the database.
Pivot – Functions and Strategies
This document provides instructions on the use of Pivot, including search strategies and best practices.
Pivot YouTube Tutorials
The Pivot YouTube channel includes a series of short videos to help users navigate the online database and set up tracked opportunities and saved searches.
GrantForward is another online database of opportunities from foundation, Federal, and other funding sources. It also includes smaller opportunities and fellowships. Use your iastate.edu email address to sign up.
GrantForward Researcher Welcome Guide
This PDF can help users set up an account and get started with using the database.
This finding funding tool provides access to timely, comprehensive information on U.S. foundations, corporate giving programs, and grant making public charities. Searches can be saved or emailed for further analysis.
In-person help is available through the Finding Funding service or at the Parks Library. Click here to access Foundation Directory Online from off-campus.
The Research Insight tool helps administrators and faculty members:
- Find subject matter experts within an institution or externally. Powerful algorithms scan faculty members’ research to identify scholars with expertise on a specific topic.
- Build diverse teams. When forming a team, a tool shows areas of expertise of team members, as well as gaps.
- Identify funding opportunities. “Suggested funding” uses algorithms that match funding opportunities to faculty members’ research and expertise, resulting in the suggestions of relevant funding opportunities.
Research Insight access is available to faculty and staff from participating units:
- College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Contact: Asrun Kristmundsdottir
- College of Engineering
- Contact: Heather Shupick
- College of Human Sciences
- Contact: Sarah Carlson
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Contact: Kristin Doerder
- Office of the Vice President for Research
Users are required to go through a training session and sign a nondisclosure agreement prior to receiving logon credentials.
To obtain access to Research Insight:
- View the following 20 minute training video Research Insight Walkthrough.
- Download and complete the Non-Disclosure Agreement. Save your completed Non-disclosure Agreement in your files.
- Complete this Research Insight Registration form, attaching your completed and signed non-Disclosure Agreement form. Once your registration is approved, you will receive an email notice from Academic Analytics with the Research Insight web address, logon and password.
Please reach out to the Grants Hub or your college contact for additional assistance. For questions about honorific awards, please contact Kirsten Abel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Research Insight FAQ
This document describes what data is included in the Research Insight database and how it is used to search for researchers and opportunities.
This is an excellent list of federal, state, and non government resources.
VSA/TIG New Grant Opportunities
This is a weekly summary of funding opportunities compiled by Van Scoyoc Associates, Inc.
- VSA New Funding Opps 07-02-2020
- VSA New Funding Opps 06-26-2020
- VSA New Funding 06-18-2020
- VSA New Funding Opps 06-11-2020
- VSA New Funding Opps 06-09-2020
- VSA New Funding Opps 05-26-2020
- VSA New Funding Opps 05-19-2020
- VSA New Funding Opps 05-13-2020
- VSA COVID-19 Agency Grant Opportunities 05-08-2020
- VSA New Funding Opps 05-05-2020
- VSA New Funding Opps 04-30-2020
- VSA New Funding Opps 04-28-2020
- VSA New Funding Opps 04-17-2020
- VSA COVID-19 Agency Grant Opportunities 04-06-2020
- Back to top